Biomechanics Activity Analysis: Eating Chips

Now more so than ever, an activity common to my daily routine is eating a bag of chips. In the last month of quarantine I do not even want to know just  how many bags I have gone through. I would start with the bag of chips in front of me, at around chest level, laying on my desk. The joint I am going to be talking about is the elbow joint. My starting position is nearly in anatomical position, with my upper extremities adducted in at my sides, but with my palms facing medially toward my body. The first movement I would make is an open kinematic chain movement of my right upper extremity. I would concentrically flex my shoulder to put my hand inside the bag. Here the arm is in an extended position in the sagittal plane about the frontal axis. I would then concentrically flex my MCP, PIP, and DIP joints in all 5 digits to grasp the chip. This movement is also an open kinetic chain movement taking place in the sagittal plane about the frontal axis. I would next concentrically flex my elbow joint in the sagittal plane about the frontal axis, using my biceps brachii, brachioradialis, and brachialis as prime movers, to bring the chip to my mouth. Due to the concave on convex rule, the arthrokinematic movements of the ulna on the humerus would be sliding and rolling forward. This movement was also an open kinetic chain of the upper extremity. Now the chip is at my mouth to eat, and I will repeat these motions until I have eaten all the chips.

Comments

Popular Posts